Friday, March 20, 2009

Baby Ndoga Born at Home on 3.15.09




Here is what Ina had to say about her experience:

During my third pregnancy my previous dream of having a home birth was nagging on me more and more as my due date came closer. My previous children were born naturally and unmedicated in an outpatient setting back in Germany. I liked to be able to go home a couple of hours after the births to recover in my own bed. But having to drive to the hospital during my short labors and being in an unfamiliar setting during the births really bothered me a lot.

I started talking with my boyfriend Cesar about the possibility of a home birth, especially in a for both of us foreign country (he is from Congo) with all the terrible stories of interventions, c-sections and being pushed into something I would not want for myself and our baby. I believe a baby should be born at home were it is conceived. I also very strongly believe, that a woman's body is totally capable and made for receiving, growing and birthing babies without intervention.

Cesar was very skeptical about the idea. He believes in natural childbirth, but he also thought a hospital setting would be the safest place to deliver his first baby. We decided on a birth center as a compromise but I still kept working on changing his mind. When we finally met Tara, at week 32, she explained with confidence what will happen during and after the birth, about her training and about statistical outcomes of home births. Cesar felt secure enough to commit to a home birth. I am so thankful for Tara's influence on his decision.

The birth itself was fast and smooth. Tara and Ann are both great midwives and have the right mix of humor, focus and encouragement during and after the birth. They both managed to give Cesar tasks to calm him down (there were times were he questioned his decision) and they gave me the space and support I needed. After Ndoga was born the joy and peaceful atmosphere was a great experience compared to my previous births. And my son, Gino, was involved cuddling and checking out his new baby brother right away.

Cesar and I felt safe and comfortable at any time during my pregnancy, the birth and postpartum and Tara is a great resource for all the questions Cesar had as a new father. She is also very sensitive to cultural differences and open minded for different views on things.

Thanks Tara (and Ann) for sharing this important time for us as a new family ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment