Thursday, March 26, 2009

Welcome Ewan Foster Cullivan 3-15-09!




AKA. Baby Fossie


At 4am on Saturday morning I woke up having somewhat regular contractions. I was a few days past my due date and fully expected this to be it. My In-Laws planned to come right away and take the girls out. By the time I had breakfast the contractions had slowed down and I began to suspect we'd be waiting a little longer. Contractions continued on and off all day. The girls spent the night with their grandparents and Lee and I had a nice quiet evening to ourselves.

I spent that whole night and into Sunday morning having contractions every 5-10 minutes and dozing off in between. I had been through this before and was pretty relaxed about it but when things hadn't changed much by morning I began to get a little discouraged. I was tired and didn't know how much longer I could hold on. I had early labor contractions with my first that lasted about 4 days and ultimately ended in a c-section. Even though my second was a home birth and the labor had been completely different I still held onto the memories of that first experience.

Tara and I spoke on the phone a few times and she reminded me that all labors are different. I knew she was right but we really wanted our baby!

I spent Sunday having contractions and tried to rest as much as possible. I knew that I would need the energy. I didn't really try to encourage labor. That might sound weird but looking back I think I was right to follow my instincts. I knew that if I was really in labor I couldn't slow it down but if my body was still just preparing then I should take advantage of the opportunity to rest.

The only slightly crazy thing I did (in hindsight of course) was take a trip to Whole Foods with Lee! We needed some groceries and I wanted to get out for a bit. I had to have him pull over for a few contractions and waddling around the supermarket wasn't very comfortable but I think it may have convinced me that labor was imminent. Or did it?

I guess after all those early labor contractions I still questioned whether or not I was really in labor. By late afternoon my In-Laws had left and my parents had arrived. I continued having contractions and resting. At around 6pm the contractions were stronger and I found myself unable to sit still. Everyone was eating dinner but I was feeling queasy. I walked around the apartment and leaned on a windowsill during each contraction.

During the next 45 minutes the contractions we even stronger and coming every 2-3 minutes. Still not convinced this was it...but had Lee start getting the tub ready just in case. I waited a few more minutes before calling Tara. She said she'd make her way over within an hour. I hung up the phone and with the next contraction my water broke. I called her back right away and she said she was on the way.

I was very excited that my water broke. Now I knew this birth was really going to happen and soon! My parents started getting the girls ready to go with them. With all the activity in the apartment my bathroom felt like the most comfortable place to be and I spent the next hour or so having very strong contractions in there. First standing in the shower holding the curtain rod (it was sturdy!)...learned that position from Ina May and it was a good one!

Then I moved onto all fours and leaned over a birth ball on the floor. The contractions were so strong. Lee was setting up the tub and sat with me when he could. Tara and Audra had arrived by then and were setting up and coming to see me as well. They reminded me to breathe during the contractions and just let them happen. My body's instinct was to fight the contraction and I had to work at relaxing and letting the contraction do what it needed to do. The short breaks in between were such a tremendous relief and allowed me to prepare for the next one.

With one of the contractions I suddenly felt like I was pushing and I really wanted to be in the tub. It was still not at the ideal temperature but we decided I could still get in. I couldn't believe I was already pushing. I was really so happy this was finally happening and my physical reactions to the pain were not in my control. I really trusted my body to do what it needed to do and it needed to yell!

The room was dimly lit and I felt totally safe and calm. When his head was finally out we waited for another contraction so I could push out the body. I tried to push without one but I couldn't. Audra told me to get on my hands and knees and push...he was a big boy and was maybe a little stuck. Tara and Audra were timing how long his head had been out but everyone was still calm and I never worried. I knew he would be out soon. And with the next contraction I was able to give one last push and he was here. They said, "pick up your baby!"

I scooped him right up...he was slippery and gorgeous and it was all over. 8:39pm. Overall a very quick labor!

I love all three of my birth stories because each has been so different and empowering in its own way. While we are 99.9% sure we won't have a fourth baby I know when the time comes it will be hard to decide if 3 is really "it." Each child, pregnancy and birth affects you in so many ways it's hard to say you're every really done!

Janice

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful story. I really love the photos. Were those candid shots? Or done by a professional? They are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete